Broadcast reporter Kelley Weiss was a guest on KQED Public Radio's Forum to discuss medical debt. An increasing number of Americans say they're being pushed into financial ruin by medical debt. Some 20 percent of those seeking financial counseling cite an inability to pay medical bills as the primary factor in declaring bankruptcy. What measures can people take to protect their financial health?
Host: Michael Krasny
- Andrew Gee, software engineer who was injured in an accident in October last year and now faces more than $70,000 in medical debt.
- Jan Emerson-Shea, vice president of external affairs at the California Hospital Association.
- Kelley Weiss, reporter at the CHCF Center for Health Reporting.
- Laurie Sobel, senior attorney at the Consumers Union focusing on health care issues.
- Todd Nelson, technical director for senior financial executives with the Healthcare Financial Management Association.